Children’s pyjama bottoms – with added Christmas puddings


This is the only Christmas make I attempted this year, because I couldn’t face that awful situation when you’re rushing out to buy things on 23 December in lieu of the planned handmade presents that you haven’t finished in time. Even so, it still wasn’t finished quite in time for Christmas!

Back in the autumn, just before I began my stash diet, I spotted some reduced Christmas pudding fabric in Doughty’s in Hereford. At only £5/m I couldn’t resist enough to make a quick pair of pyjama bottoms for my 3-year old son. It’s quilting cotton, rather cotton flannel, but I thought it would be fun anyway.

The pattern is my trusty pyjama pants pattern Simplicity 2290 (other versions here and here), which includes children’s sizes from age 4-5 upwards. My 3-and-a-half-year old is a giant among his classmates at 110cm, so I traced the smallest size for him. Because they’re loose fitting trousers with an elasticated waist, there’s not a lot of fitting to do – just shortening the elastic to size and turning up the hem.

They’re a little on the large side at the moment, but I think they’ll be perfect for next Christmas. Although obviously, the proof will be in the pudding (groan…)



Cotton candy pyjama bottoms


Easy does it. Following Louise’s example over at NotSewSimple, I thought I’d power through a straightforward project for once and make some PJ bottoms. This is the sort of thing that normal people really can sew in one hour with the wind behind them, and such a relief after battling with a coat, trousers and lots of new-to-me knitting skills over the last few months.

The pattern is Simplicity 2290, a beginner’s pattern with just one piece! I first made it over a year ago, and it’s a great quick make because it doesn’t require any fitting – these are proper duvet day pyjamas with an elasticated waist and a simple hem. This time I made the medium rather than the large and used wider elastic.


The fabric is some 150cm-wide brushed cotton I bought from Truro fabrics. It’s not as thick as regular flannel pyjamas so it’s perfect for spring, but it’s oddly slippery and not the easiest to work with. (Must find a good spray-in, wash-out stabiliser you can buy in the UK…) The pink isn’t too lurid, and brightens up my overly grey nightwear drawer.

Next time I think I’ll make a wider casing and a deeper hem to give a more expensive look to them, but for now, they’re perfect for snoozing, lazing around and generally making the most of the last of the winter hibernation period.

Lazy day PJs

In need of a simple, straightforward make to get you back into the swing of things? Or maybe you feel like spending all of January on the sofa? Well this pattern is very forgiving on fit, so it’s quick to do, and it’s the sort of thing you could spend all weekend in if you wanted to – without frightening your family/housemates/cat.

Simplicity 2290 is a simple pair of elasticated pyjama bottoms in a woven fabric. There’s only one pattern piece, and it’s unisex with child and teen sizes included too, so if you want to you can go mad and make a pair for everyone. I’m actually considering this, it’s so quick to do compared with some of my other makes…

The instructions are very detailed because they’re aimed at complete beginners. I think an absolute beginner might struggle without any help, but if this is your second or third make you should be fine.

I’ve made two versions so far, and I’ve already got plans for a third.

Version 1

I made this as a toile, really, from some leftover red polkadot cotton poplin I found in a shop in Weymouth on my holidays a couple of years back. I made a short version because I didn’t have much fabric left – and the point of my toile was to check the fit around the hips. I’m between sizes so I went for the L, and this turned out to be HUGE, so I’d recommend going for the smaller size for once if you’re between sizes in this pattern.

I didn’t have the right width of elastic, so I made the casing a bit narrower and used some thinner elastic I had lying around.

Overall, they’re fine. Too big, but wearable for a toile. I’ll probably wear them to slob around the house in summer and perhaps take them in if I get attached to them.

Version 2


This version was under wraps – quite literally – until Christmas. I made a second pair in a gorgeous tartan brushed cotton I got from Truro Fabrics for Mr Wardrobe for Christmas. I made the medium this time, after sneakily measuring his other trousers. Again, I made the casing smaller and using a narrower elastic.

This was the first time I’ve worked with brushed cotton, and although it feels lovely on the skin, it’s quite tricky to fold straight for cutting out as the top layer catches on the bottom one. And with a tartan you definitely can’t get away with a wonky fold. So I think I spent over an hour crawling round my dining room floor trying to do the cutting out – for only one pattern piece! The pattern is also quite fabric-hungry – in 115cm wide, you need 2.4m for the medium. I bought 150cm wide fabric, so I’m keen to see if I can squeeze another pair out of it.

Mr Wardrobe says he likes them, and has even made noises about ordering a second pair. We adjusted the elastic to make it a closer fit around the waist, but apart from that the fit has been good – like I said, this pattern is very forgiving!

Version 3

I bought myself some brushed cotton from Truro Fabrics too – a pink gingham. It’s a bit more girly than I’d normally choose, but somehow a unisex pattern seemed to demand a girlier fabric. It’s on my list to finish before spring comes.

If you’re looking for more inspiration, there are plenty of reviews and pictures by other sewists on Sewing Pattern Review, and I’ve started compiling a brushed cotton fabric board on Pinterest.

Go on, indulge yourself.