After a serious think about the contents of my wardrobe – and the gaps in it – earlier this month, I settled on sewing the things that would get me through an average week. Top of my list was t-shirts – mainly because I had two patterns and plenty of knit fabric ready to go.
I opted to try out my self-drafted T-shirt pattern first. Since the initial fitting, I decided to revise the block to include more ease, and I made four small alterations to the fit:
- I narrowed the shoulder by 0.5cm
- I added a smidgen more width around the bust
- I took in the back waist a touch
- I raised the armscye by 1cm to give more freedom of movement
I then added the three neckline variations I wear most often – boat (or slash) neck, scoop and crew.
The fabric is leftover from a (pre-blog) maternity top I made back in 2013. It’s a lightweight cotton jersey with decent recovery, bought at Sewing for Pleasure at the NEC, but I can’t remember the name of the shop or the price unfortunately.
I stitched the shoulder seams on my ordinary sewing machine so I could add clear elastic as a stabiliser, but then used my overlocker for the other seams and to finish the remaining raw edges. Instead of the usual bands or twin needle finish, I opted for a zigzag stitch after reading the Grainline Lark sewalong.
I’m really pleased with the fit. It’s close-fitting but not too tight, and that balances the looser-fitting bottom halves in my wardrobe nicely. If I can avoid getting caught in the crossfire of flying egg and blackcurrants that constitutes dinnertime with a toddler, then hopefully I’ll be wearing it every week for years to come.
The pattern was free and the fabric and notions were all leftovers, so I’m calling that a zero-cost new top. Huzzah!
(I considered calling this T-shirt Boaty McBoatface, but thought better of it.)