In need of a simple, straightforward make to get you back into the swing of things? Or maybe you feel like spending all of January on the sofa? Well this pattern is very forgiving on fit, so it’s quick to do, and it’s the sort of thing you could spend all weekend in if you wanted to – without frightening your family/housemates/cat.
Simplicity 2290 is a simple pair of elasticated pyjama bottoms in a woven fabric. There’s only one pattern piece, and it’s unisex with child and teen sizes included too, so if you want to you can go mad and make a pair for everyone. I’m actually considering this, it’s so quick to do compared with some of my other makes…
The instructions are very detailed because they’re aimed at complete beginners. I think an absolute beginner might struggle without any help, but if this is your second or third make you should be fine.
I’ve made two versions so far, and I’ve already got plans for a third.
I made this as a toile, really, from some leftover red polkadot cotton poplin I found in a shop in Weymouth on my holidays a couple of years back. I made a short version because I didn’t have much fabric left – and the point of my toile was to check the fit around the hips. I’m between sizes so I went for the L, and this turned out to be HUGE, so I’d recommend going for the smaller size for once if you’re between sizes in this pattern.
I didn’t have the right width of elastic, so I made the casing a bit narrower and used some thinner elastic I had lying around.
Overall, they’re fine. Too big, but wearable for a toile. I’ll probably wear them to slob around the house in summer and perhaps take them in if I get attached to them.
This version was under wraps – quite literally – until Christmas. I made a second pair in a gorgeous tartan brushed cotton I got from Truro Fabrics for Mr Wardrobe for Christmas. I made the medium this time, after sneakily measuring his other trousers. Again, I made the casing smaller and using a narrower elastic.
This was the first time I’ve worked with brushed cotton, and although it feels lovely on the skin, it’s quite tricky to fold straight for cutting out as the top layer catches on the bottom one. And with a tartan you definitely can’t get away with a wonky fold. So I think I spent over an hour crawling round my dining room floor trying to do the cutting out – for only one pattern piece! The pattern is also quite fabric-hungry – in 115cm wide, you need 2.4m for the medium. I bought 150cm wide fabric, so I’m keen to see if I can squeeze another pair out of it.
Mr Wardrobe says he likes them, and has even made noises about ordering a second pair. We adjusted the elastic to make it a closer fit around the waist, but apart from that the fit has been good – like I said, this pattern is very forgiving!
I bought myself some brushed cotton from Truro Fabrics too – a pink gingham. It’s a bit more girly than I’d normally choose, but somehow a unisex pattern seemed to demand a girlier fabric. It’s on my list to finish before spring comes.
Go on, indulge yourself.